Sunday, February 12, 2006

Excellent Mexican . . .

No, not Frida Kahlo. I'm talking about an outstanding Mexican restaurant in Renton. I know, I know, but it really is good. It's called La Fuente, which babelfish tells me means "the source." It looks like any Mom & Pop big-plate Mexican place, but the food is really outstanding. It's not gourmet by any standard, but it is excellent home-style Mexican. The portions are absurdly large, and they are certainly not afraid to use the spices. The salsa that comes with the excellent, freshly made chips is HOT--and trust me, I pride myself on being able to breathe fire with the best of them.

I have had the chile verde (excellent) and the chicken burrito, which has wonderful, marinated chunks of tender chicken. Bottom line: this place is serious about food. You'll have leftovers for days. The staff is very friendly and attentive, and the food is as good as any Mexican restaurant in the Seattle area. Yum.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

No, no, no, save your money and take your business to La Hacienda. Last time I was La Fuente, our waiter was drunk and kept slipping outside to smoke. The food was salty and lacking in flavor. The chips were stale and when I tasted my husband's carne asada, I realized it was remarkably similar in taste to my chicken enchiladas. It all tasted the same, not good.

Unknown said...

I really don't like agreeing with a negative comment posted anonymously, but that comment about La Fuente as far as the food is concerned is spot on to my experiences with them.... the last time dating about the time this blog was posted. Service was ok, but the food wasn't. The salsa was a bland, tomato'y mixture that was very watery. I'd swear they used jarred Old El Paso mild.

I can agree that La Hacienta on 3rd is consistently WAY better.

Anonymous said...

I have to disagree with the reviews, as long as your talking about the La Fuente on Sunset (the one in fairwood is HORRIBLE). I've eaten at the one on sunset dozens of times and LOVED it. I'm addicted.