Saturday, April 22, 2006

STIR

Renton has some notable Chinese restaurants.
Imperial Garden, in the Great Wall Shopping Center, the Asian mall on East Valley Highway, is considered one of the most authentic and critically acclaimed Chinese restaurants in the Seattle area. But authentic isn't necessarily what I want to eat. In Oaxaca, they eat tacos that are filled with insects. Maybe it tastes good, and maybe it's authentic, but not something I'd really go for.
Hong's Garden, at Airport and Rainier, is owned by the original owners of Chinatown's House of Hong, and is often packed and well liked by many. But not me. The hostess/owner has a continous scowl/ hostile look on her face. I don't want fake sincerity "I'm Marcie and I'll be your server tonight", or the entire crew that comes out to sing happy birthday, but an owner who doesn't appear to hate every customer who comes in would be nice. So Hong's, popular as it is, turns me off.
But then there's Stir, 151 Sunset Blvd N, Renton, www.stirfood.com.
The menu is a funny mixture of traditional American Chinese(egg rolls, Sweet n' sour Chicken, Chow Mein) and more unusual selections like Mango and Halibut Salad, Roasted Duck Salad with cranberry, and some Thai and Korean influenced dishes like Spicy Korean buckwheat noodle soup, and Spicy Basil Prawns and Chicken.
I've eaten there a bunch of times, and it's always good, and pleasant.
The wok seared scallops with lemon citrus sauce is terrific. The salmon is fresh and not overcooked.
The place looks "Dennysesque" from the outside, but is comfortable inside in an almost elegant kind of way.
Service is always attentive. Entree prices range from 6.95(Eggpant with garlic sauce!) to 16.95(Sea Bass in soy ginger sauce) with most entrees between 6.95 and 11.95, so prices are reasonable.
The place is just solid. Consistantly good to very good, with a few things that are insanely great.
Maybe I'd stay away from those items you can get in any Chinese restaurant. But the "Happy Family" , available at many Chinese restaurants, at Stir is a combo of prawns, scallops, BBQ Pork, beef, and vegetables, and is far superior to most others in comparison.
All in all, Stir has something for those who don't want to take any risks, and also has something for those who want to try something new.
They also deliver within a four mile radius, with a 15.00 minimum order. Their phone # is 425-235-1818. I believe they are open seven days a week for lunch and dinner, and stay open til 10:30.
On my 0-4 scale, Stir gets a 3 for food, a 3.5 for service, a 3.5 for atmosphere, and a 3.5 for value. So far my favorite Chinese restaurant in Renton.

4 comments:

Freakazoid Freddy said...

I love the Renton Blue Heron Rookery, a.k.a Black River Riparian Forest; I walk the dog there a few times a week.

The West Hillcommunity meetings are held at the Skyway VFW, so I've been in the building, but never had their cheap beers.

Tin Foil Hat said...

Ha--we heard great things about Hong's Garden too, and hated it as well :) I definitely felt the "scowl" across the whole waitstaff.

Thanks for keeping up the blog Senor Freakazoid! I've been in total busy mode lately.

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog and am thrilled! I too am a Renton transplant - I like it here but miss Seattle...

I HIGHLY recommend Little Peking located in the Renton Highlands. For my money it has the best Chinese anywhere in Western Washington. The fried rice, mongolian beef, and honey chicken are particularly good.

Africola said...

i gotta try stir again. a good chinese take out place is a must-have in your repertoire of quick dinners. my first order from stir made me think it was going to be The New Place -- the ginger beef was tender and appropriately gingery, the large slices of lemon chicken were lightly battered and accompanied by a tangy lemon sauce.

but my 2nd try -- same order -- was totally different. bad stringy beef, little McNugget looking chunks that were mostly batter, and a thick yellow sauce that looked kinda like engine oil.

so i haven't been back. i switched to Hong's. and if you think Scowling Proprietor is scary on an average visit, try going with little kids. especially when there's a long wait. then you will know the true power of The Scowl.

to avoid The Scowl, i call in the order, show up 5 minutes after it's supposed to be ready, and walk in visa already in hand. pretty painless. and the chow mein is worth it.