Sunday, August 27, 2006

Is Hawaiian Food da Bomb?

As a matter of fact, yes.
As I've stated before in previous posts, I don't have that much exposure to Hawaiian food, never lived in Hawaii, and am no expert on the subject. But I sure like it.
The Seattle area doesn't have very many Hawaiian restaurants, so the fact that Renton has two is pretty astounding, and makes the folks in Renton pretty lucky.
I've previously posted about Aloha BBQ, and many comments were made in response, pretty heated stuff.
I thought nobody ever read this blog, and then, out of nowhere a firestorm over lau lau and kalbi.
But just to clarify:
I eat at both L & L and Aloha, and I like them both. I wasn't really trying to compare them.
L & L is a big, successful chain for a reason. The reason is because they're good and deliver a consistant,good product in big portions at reasonable prices. I ate there this afternoon and feasted on their low carb plate.
Aloha is a mom and pop new place just getting established. I love going there. The service is friendly and personal and the food is great and reasonably priced and creative.
I 've posted about Mexican places, Chinese places and Italian places, and there's dead silence.
I had no idea how passionate folks were about their Hawaiian food, and even though there was some hostility and things said less than nice, I really enjoyed reading every one of the comments and I'm becoming a big fan of Hawaiian food.
There's plenty of room for both L&L and Aloha to be very successful, and I hope they are both in Renton for many years to come.
Were there a couple of restaurants in Renton specailizing in lutefisk, they might struggle to survive, as there might not be enough folks willing to spend money on lutefisk, but Kalbi ribs, lau lau, etc, are delicious and addictive.
I'm not saying patronize only one of Renton's Hawaiian places. Go to both, support your local Hawaiian restaurant.

1 comment:

Freakazoid Freddy said...

I'm with you, Scarlett.
I like the way customers are treated at Aloha. friendly..warm, not to mention really good tasting food served in huge portions.
Some restaurants you can almost taste the care that went into preparing the food. Aloha is one of those places.