Saturday, June 09, 2007

Coffee, Chocolate and Ribs

Seven or so years ago I'd quit drinking coffee, I was a semi vegetarian ( no red meat or chicken) and chocolate had absolutely no appeal.
So what happened? Well, I'm almost 50 years old, tastes change, and that "screw it all" attitude becomes more assertive.
Now I'm addicted to espresso, mostly roasting my own beans. Nothing satisfies quite like dark chocolate, and while I could be a vegetarian, I'd make an exception for RIBS!
Which is where this is all going:
Places worth noting:

CHOCOLATE:
Green Fresh Market 675 Rainier South, Renton, the Whole Foodsish type place, has an enormous variety of chocolate, and carries the Hatchez brand , perceived by some to be the world's best. It's made in Germany from Ecuadorian chocolate. My favorite is a 77% cocoa content chocolate with peanuts, and it's insanely good.

COFFEE:
Maybe not the best espresso in town, but Vince's Coffee, 401 Olympia Ave NE, 425-271-8820 across the street from Greenwood Cemetary amd Jimi Hendrix's grave, serves consistently good Caffe D'Arte coffee and free use of vibrating massage chairs.

RIBS!:
Gabby's Que at 12621 Renton Ave in beautiful downtown Skyway, 206-772-6110 , continues to serve much better than average BBQ Alabama style, with mustardy spicy cole slaw. Take Out only, or eat standing up.
Last but not least, the Best Damn Sports Bar, 12833 Martin Luther King Way S. (near the entrance to I-5 Northbound) now serves BBQ ribs, chicken and brisket, along with other bar foods, and karaoke. The place is a friendly dive, and the BBQ is much better than average . The collard greens are exceptional.

Freakazoid Freddy

5 comments:

Mikea said...

I live in Skyway and never heard of Gabby's Que. I just called them and found out where they are located!! Thanks for the info! I had been looking for a rib joint in the southend besides 3 sisters bbq in renton and didn't have any luck until now!!

Anonymous said...

The correct address for Greenfresh Market is 575 Rainier Ave. N.
Renton.

Excellent market. Good selection of natural as well as conventional foods. Great helpful staff.

rowdystroudy said...

We're from Georgia and are EXPERTS in real southern barbeque. My hubby actually competed down there and makes fantastic ribs. We've been in search of a place here that comes even slightly close to what we are used to..and Gabby's Q is it. No where else even compares! The ribs are awesome..sauce isn't too thick or sweet, and the owner is just as nice and Southern as he can be. Definitely going back for our barbeque fix!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to see Green Fresh Market on your blog (THANK YOU for this blog--it's made our recent move to Renton quite fun) but the teensy mention doesn't do this grocery justice. These folks seem to be doing everything right and I love going there. The size, for one---I get all the culinary inspiration I get from the Whole Foods experience (almost), but I feel more like I'm in my childhood mom-n-pop than cruising southern California. I trust their "organic-ness" more (see the book Omnivore's Dilemma for the skinny on Whole Foods) and they're not TOO pure---you can get things there you have to make a special trip for in most "natural stores." The staff is super friendly and interesting too---always ready with a recipe suggestion when I need it, or information about the source of the food. Parking is a breeze, their food samples are 'the good stuff," and they're really working hard to accommodate their customers. I want them to thrive, just because I love having them so close to home. I hope you do a whole write-up on them someday. (Well, I guess I just did, sort of.) Am going to check out Gabby's BBQ next.

Anonymous said...

does anyone have information on why Gree Fresh is "temporarily closed." i'm unable to find any info online?