Friday, June 12, 2009

Any restaurants you hate to admit you like?

C'mon. We all have at least one restaurant we'd hate to be seen in, especially by our friends, yet we make these sneaky trips there and hope nobody sees us actually enjoying a meal there.
For me, it's Billy McHale's. Oh my god! is that place out of date, so 80's, with it's tchochkes galore and the little train overhead and the fake festiveness. But you know what? I like the place. I know, most of the people who eat there are at least in their 60's, and the place maybe ought to be updated to at least the 90's, huh?
But the food is good, and it's a good value, especially the early bird dinner special, served 7 days a week from 2 until 5:30. That's blue hair time, but you get a large selection of entrees or entree salads that include dessert for 8.95!
The early bird specials, among other choices, offer steak, chicken, salmon, Cobb salad, Lasagna, and quite a few others. The dessert choices include hot fudge sundae, apple crisp ala mode, and a frozen, very rich and delicious peanut butter pie.
I know. The ultimmate hipster isn't supposed to dine until 10PM, then go out and hear music or something.
But if you want to know the truth, I haven't been hip since Joni Mitchell was in her heyday, and 10PM! That's almost bedtime!

Billy McHales
241 SW 7th St.
Renton WA 427-271-7427

8 comments:

Lady P said...

Man! your write up makes me just wanna hop in the car and go! But wait, it's almost 10 pm. I guess I'll make that tomorrow, then!
My favorite little haunt that everyone raises an eyebrow at? Breakfast at Rubattino's with Sandy as our friendly waitress and the veggie omelet and a table of good buddies. Bliss.

Freakazoid Freddy said...

Rubbatino's might just have the best breakfast in Renton ( Sorry, Tommy's).
And the atmosphere is awesome! It's my kind of place.

Lady P said...

yes - isn't it nice - we now have at least TWO places that we will shamefully enjoy

Anonymous said...

Freakazoid Freddie, I hope you'll join us:

It's On!!! Meet the Bloggers Meet Up on Sunday August 9, 2009!!

Come one come all!! We're having the first of many Renton Blogger Meet Ups on Sunday, August 9, 2009 at Happy Delusions and the Liberty Cafe on South Third Street in DTR!! It starts at noon and runs until whenever!! Renton425 (me) will be there!! Community Update (Randy Corman) will be there!! The Picaroon (Lady P) will be there!! And a whole lot of other Renton Bloggers.

But what we really want are those that read and post on our blogs to join us for this little get together and a chance to peer behind the computer screens.

We need you to spread the word!!!

Anonymous said...

Wendys: I hate chains, but I have to admit that they're fine if I only have $2.15 and five minutes of time.

Five Guys Burgers and Fries also makes me feel guilty for the same reason.

Anonymous said...

Northwest Sports Bar and Grill. $5 burgers and cheap happy hours! Still a dive, though.

Unknown said...

Its not a restaurant per-se but a bar, and its not in Renton per-se but in Skyway... The Beachcomber. They make some darn good pizza, and the steak specials on Saturday night are awesome.

Agree with the Rubbantino brekky, but I always had a place for Tommy's brekkys.

Anonymous said...

Rubbatinos? I wondered about this place also. It never looks very busy and I couldn't wrap my head around a breakfast place sounding like an old Italian hang out whose sign they forgot to take down. It at a glance looks like a total dive complete with ciggy butts just outside their door. Are you telling me this place serves a good morning hash? Yeah, my eyebrow is raised!