Tuesday, August 04, 2009

You can so grow big red tomatoes 'round here.





My backyard doesn't realize it's unincorporated King County, two blocks from the Renton city limits. My backyard thinks it's in Arizona. Last year the Tilth organic gardening group canceled their tomato taste off in Seattle because there weren't enough red tomatoes. But my backyard produced 'em.
This year, it just turned August and I'm already producing large red tomatoes that are not supposed to grow in these parts. It's nothing I'm doing. This particular tomato is a Jetsetter, which I've never grown before.....And maybe it's the long hot summer we're having, but I'd like to think it's the magical backyard.

2 comments:

Lady P said...

I love it! it's like you are in 4H over there in your backyard, just wishing some other city breed farmers would come out and play
that is indeed one large looking tomato
when are you going to start canning them

Chrystal said...

I grew up in Renton, and my dad always had tomatoes growing in his garden. I think it was all the sunshine it got on the hill side. We lived at 572 Windsor PL NE... perfect exposure there for all sorts of Veggies... Artichokes, Tomatoes, Lettuce, Peas, Strawberries, Brussel Sprouts.