Saturday, October 17, 2009

Izakaya Sushi in the Landing

First, full disclosure: I'm not Freddy--although I certainly wish I was :)

Second, my wife and I are currently obsessed with Izakaya Sushi in the Landing. It's a kaiten-zushi bar and they also serve Yakitori -- basically barbequed meat skewers (which we have not tried yet).

We love to sit at the kaiten which is, quite literally a "Sushi train" (this is also what we call the resturaunt--i.e. "want to go to sushi train tonight?"). It's a conveyor belt of increasingly interesting sushi selections, everything from salads to exotic rolls (Boeing Roll anyone?) sushi, and even desserts. Each plate has a different price (from $1-5) and you just pay by the plates at the end of the night. The food is really really good (although, I'm not sure if it surpasses Renton staples like New Zen). The novelty and the atmosphere are amazing, however. We'll definitely be back to try the tempura and the Yakatori.

I see it's getting some mixed reviews on Yelp. Anybody else been there? What do you think?

7 comments:

Freakazoid Freddy said...

Hey Tin Foil!
Great to see you posting! You were probably due for your annual post:)
I've spoken to several people who love Izakaya, and haven't personally met anyone who dislikes the place, but some of those Yelp reviews are scathing. I haven't been to the place. Lately I've been enjoying the 1/2 price Happy hour sushi rolls at Blossom Asian Bistro, but...I like conveyor belts.

AFB said...

Hey guys! Great to see some new activity in the blog!

On Izakaya, I have personally been there once, and can say that was not impressed at all with them. I found the roll selection to be lacking, with the majority of rolls being nothing more than altered California rolls. I also thought that they were a bit overpriced (though that may just be the markup for being in the cool new mall :)

Maybe I have been spoiled by Sushi Land in Tukwila. But if you want some good conveyor belt sushi, the extra 5 mile drive is definitely worth it. Better selection, better prices, better taste.

That being said, I'll definitely try Izakaya again. I both live and work within walking distance, and their skewers did look very tasty.

Harry said...

I'm in the same boat as Andres B. Too many rolls had cooked fish or faux crab. It was all very nice and tasty, but when I'm in the mood for sushi, I want to see fresh and raw salmon and tuna, both of which were in short supply on the train.

Anonymous said...

We tried it on a Saturday night after a movie- around 9:30pm or so. The waitress said the kitchen was closing and to make our selection from the conveyor belt - no ordering off the menu. Another group sat down later, and did indeed order off the menu. I think our waitress had a hot date and wanted us out of there. It worked. We wont' be back

Anonymous said...

the good thing about sushi-kaiten style: I end up eating stuff I'd never order off the menu. Seeing it right in front of me rids me of my cuisine shyness for some of the more exotic stuff. For example, last week I had eel and salmon skin salad. It was mild flavord and totally good.

The downside of kaiten: the deep fried rolls age quick on the conveyor belt. The Boeing Roll was dissappointing because it sat there too long. I guess I should keep an eye on the chef to see when he puts the new plates on the belt.

Anonymous said...

Well, we went there once and loved it. Then we went back and they had NO vegetarian options and said they had a new chef that the hostess seemed displeased with. We won't be going back.

Africola said...

We went once awhile ago shortly after they opened for a midday lunch -- we did kaiten vs. menu, and it was good. I don't care much for rolls, mostly nigiri sushi which when we went they had plenty of.

The atmosphere is a step up from conveyor-belt-standbys Blue C and Sushi Land (both in Tukwila at / near Southcenter). But my first choice overall is still Blue C -- I think the quality is consistently better than Sushi Land, and it seemed equally good as Izakaya.