Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Greenfresh gone, Thriftway going, Uwajimaya coming?

Greenfresh Market, Renton's closest thing to Whole Foods, closed it's doors a few months ago.
Unbeknownst to many, they happened to serve the best burger in Renton at their deli, but it's a vacant storefront now, and I miss them
Renton Village Thriftway is having a 20% off inventory reduction sale, but it appears to be going the same route as Greenfresh. Renton Village Thriftway has been a pleasant, if somewhat overpriced place to shop, with a lot of consistently high quality items, very similar to the Metropolitan Market chain, and I'm sorry to see them go.
These aren't easy economic times for Renton nor a lot of other places. It seems that upscale supermarkets have reasons to worry.
But today's P-I (also likely shutting down in a couple of weeks) had a blurb stating that Uwajimaya was eying the Thriftway site. I've been to the International District store many times and I think they'd be a great addition to Renton.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The QFC in Fairwood is closing (if it hasn't already). That would be a great place for Trader Joe's, although I would prefer the Landing.

Uwajimaya would be great, though!

All that said, I'll miss Thriftway, especially the deli there.

Lady P said...

yes - it was a good store - but as Uwajimaya is indeed a great purveyor of fresh seafood and produce- we are lucky to be getting them =
Renton Rumors Turned Respectable
http://thepicaroon.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Fooey....

The checkout at Thriftway was always fast, and I'll miss the cheese selection. I have to admit that after Washing DC decided to spend trillions, I've been shopping at places like Costco in anticipation of taxes rising.

Liza J. said...

I will love Uwajimaya being in place of Thriftway! I was sad to see Green Fresh go...I really loved that place!

Unknown said...

Hi there! I'm sorry to send this message as a comment, I couldn't find an email address. Anyway, I'm starting a site at www.rentonjournal.com that features several Renton based blogs and I was wondering if I could include an RSS feed from yours. You wouldn't be required to do anything and it would hopefully boost traffic to your blog. Would that be okay if I went ahead and did that? I wouldn't need anything from you except the "okay" to go through with it. If you could email me at andycorm@comcast.net with your answer that would be awesome! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I've only just discovered that side of Renton, well more or less. But am disappointed to think I missed something special at that market. I went there the other day going to RiteAid and saw paper on the windows at the market. In general the whole shopping center there lacks for any discernable vibe unless you count Applebee's and Starbucks at the opening and I'm not a huge fan of Applebee's anyway. The Rite Aid there was an odd experience. In SoCal they are pretty busy - but this one here was like a ghosttown. Also, the music there...well if you need anything RiteAid pretty much has it but the music is from bizarro-land. Tacky.

I'm a huge Trader Joe's Fan. Would be great to see one around here. The Landing would be perfect of course.