Thursday, February 04, 2010

Some brutal statistics

The plan was to go out for happy hour at Blossom Asian Bistro yesterday afternoon. But there were two signs that indicated otherwise. One was that the place was closed for the holidays. Which holidays, Christmas through President's Day?
The other sign was from the Liquor Control Board, stating that the liquor license was suspended for not having adequate lighting to check ID.
Anyway, it doesn't look too promising, but I hope Blossom reopens.
Needless to say, it's a tough industry even in the best of economic times.
Renton Hipster has been around since late 2005. Since then, approximately 63 restaurants have been reviewed. ( Hey, it's hard to count that high.)
Of those 63, 36 still exist.
In the year 2009 alone, 15 restaurants were mentioned. Of those 15, only 10 still exist.
Despite all that, new restaurants reopen, with owners confident that they won't become another statistic, and I hope they're right. I enjoy dining out, and I think that a variety of decent restaurants makes a community a much better place.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, it has been brutal and I agree entirely that having a good variety of restaurants enhances a community.

A bit of a digression re: the Asian Bistro. I thought their dishes were great in concept but a bit flawed in execution. Also, last time I was there was on a Wednesday at 5:00 pm.

I ordered on of their "signature" drinks. But they were out of the main ingredient. I also ordered one of their "signature" appetizers. Also out of the ingredient. Hell, it is a Wed. at 5:00. What was the manager doing all day? He should have been sourcing that stuff. So maybe their failure was a bit self-inflicted.

Anonymous said...

i heard from the grape vine that the restaurant is for sale.

Lady P said...

You have been doing an amazing job of being a local carnivore and the numbers are saddening. I had seen the sign myself but then thought that they were still included in the Roving Renton list of restaurants, so thought I was just somehow wrong. Darn - this economy sucks

Anonymous said...

From all I hear, Blossom's gone. I liked it but a big place with not enough atmosphere to be on my "once a week" list. All roads now lead to Red House (as the current reigning Gene restaurant).

I saw life at Vino's (an "opening soon, new ownership" sign). Wassup?

Freakazoid Freddy said...

I saw signs of life at what used to be Vino's on 3rd, formerly Gene's, as well.
I thought Gene's, when Gene ran it, was my favorite place in town. Antipasto to die for. Insanely good apple pie. I still miss that place.

Anonymous said...

I'm super excite about the Vino's although i was excited about its last few incarnations... anyhoo i was browsing at the business for sale ads on craigslist and Blossom was one of them (a month or so ago). let's face it, Blossom is way too fancy schmancy for Renton, it just doesn't appeal to our collective food consciousness. food was great though

Maikeer said...

I saw a lit "OPEN" sign at Vino's while driving home last night.

Anonymous said...

Looking in the real estate adde I saw that Bella Napoli is for sale also.