Friday, January 22, 2010

A few pizza places

I've been overdoing it a bit lately on pizza. Within the last couple of weeks I've been to four different Renton pizza places. This review does not include those places I haven't been to very recently, so it does not include some worthy competitors like Flying Pie, or Armandos, or Amante, or the Rock.
But it does include Pizza Man, 1222 Bronson Way 425-430-0066.
Pizza Man only has one or two tables, so I assume most people get the pizza to take out or be delivered. But we ate it in, and I recommend that. It's an above average quality pizza place, run by a friendly Bulgarian guy with a sense of humor. After he revealed he was Bulgarian, and I mentioned that the Amante chain was also Bulgarian owned, he said he thought there was still a few Italians left in the pizza business.
The Gourmet Vegetarian pizza was especially good.

Another worthy pizzeria is Jay Berry's Cafe, at 16341 Renton-Issaquah Rd, 425-271-1817.
Jay Berry's has a much larger menu than just pizza, and includes pasta, burgers, entree salads, and weekend breakfasts. Lunch specials include two large pizza slices with two toppings and a hefty side sald for 7.25. The pizza is a style I'd characterize as Greek American, though I don't think the owner is Greek. It's a nice crunchy crust, slightly thick, with not a lot of sauce, and a ton of melted cheesy goodness. It's not "my style" of pizza, but I appreciate it for what it is, and enjoyed the place a lot. Salad dressings include a great home made honey lemon. Friendly and fun place to hang out in.

I fairly recently reviewed the happy hour at Vinces. They have a Renton location at 2815 Sunset Blvd NE, 425-226-8180. Vince's is a small chain, and the original branch still exists just north of Renton in Seattle's Rainier Beach area. Vince's in Rainier Beach has been around since the 1950's. Vince's continues to bake far better than average pizza. The crust is especially good, as are the prices.

Last but not least, I can't forget about Angelo's, at 3809 NE 4th ST, 425-228-7415.
There are a couple of pizzas I like better in Seattle, but Angelo's is seriously awesome pizza. Just the right mix of puffy, crusty, bready, but fairly thin crust, with an assertive, delicious sauce.They're not afraid of garlic here. This is " my kind" of pizza, but it's also the kind of place where I have absolutely no willpower. It's a good thing I don't live nearby, I'd weigh 500 pounds.
Great, friendly service. Red plastic checkerboard tablecloths, and good Greek salad.

10 comments:

Lady P said...

this is all sounding so very good that i am wishing i had a slice in front of me right now - still have yet to make it to Vince's for Happy Hour, but your description makes a future trip inevitable

JRRII said...

Has anyone tried the pizza at the Spot Tavern? It was good in the early 90's, but I haven't been there since than.

Unknown said...

Back in the 70's The Spot used to advertise "Our pizza is the best south of Northlake" meaning the Northlake Tavern near Green Lake in Seattle. It was still pretty grubbin' in the mid 80's when I last had one. This was when they were a decent 'dive-bar' before they became a 'sports-bar'. So yeah, I'm curious if their pizza is still good.

Freakazoid Freddy said...

I'll have to check out The Spot, but I always thought Northlake Tavern's pizza was vastly overrated. Big dough with lots of toppings and cheese. For me, it's all about the crust and the sauce. cheese, sure, but to complement everything else, not to mask it.

Lady P said...

Ira - you were right - I was being unfairly snarky to the Fairwoodians and you called me on it
that is what a good pal would do
thank you

Anonymous said...

Not quite Renton, but within striking distance. Rainier Ave, in Columbia City has Tutta Bella.

This place actually is one a a handful in the US that has been certified by the Naples pizza mafia.tunafish1

Anonymous said...

The Tutta Bella in Issaquah is also within striking distance, particularly from the Renton Highlands.

Freakazoid Freddy said...

Maybe it's because I'm a non cultured slob, but I just don't get the appeal or the prices at Tutta Bella or Pulcinella south of Rainier Beach on Rainier Avenue. Oh, they're good, but are they all that?
Another fabulous pizza place within striking distance is Flying Squirrel @ 50th and Genessee in Seattle. Awesomely good.

Chickadeeva said...

I love Amante's. They literally opened the closed doors for us during a snow storm just so we could eat. The couple who run it are awesome.

Anonymous said...

Jay Berry's is our local.... my husband loves their breakfast pizza