Tuesday, April 27, 2010

River Rock Grill and Ale House

The River Rock Grill and Ale House is the bar and restaurant associated with the Maplewood Golf Course at 4050 Maple Valley Hwy in Renton.
I'm not a golfer. I've never understood the appeal of trying to knock some little ball into a hole with a stick. I'd rather garden than golf, I'd rather bowl than golf. I'd always prefer to eat than golf. Golf represents to me not the cross section of society, but the elite secret cabal who make the rules.
Thus, I stay away from golf courses and have a mistrust of the people who go there.
So I'm loathe to admit that the River Rock Grill is pretty damned good, and a good value for what you get.
They do a great clams and mussels, an extraordinary bronzed salmon, fine burgers, and delicious coconut red curry prawns. Sandwiches include guajillo chicken, which is a lime marinated chicken breast in an adobo sauce, with roasted peppers and cheese, chipotle mayo, served with really yummy sweet potato fries. They offer good deals in the bar at happy hour.
I wish I didn't like this place. Fergawdsake, it's at a golf course.
But it's really good.
River Rock Grill
4050 Maple Valley Hwy,
Renton 425-430-0311

5 comments:

Lady P said...

I love that you can ride your bike out there, thinking you're being healthy, swoop in and have some great food and drink and then cycle out.
Had no idea that they had a curry and that it was so good - hmmmmmm

JRRII said...

We too enjoy the River Rock. I think that every meal we've had there has been excellent. Their burgers are among the top 2 or 3 in the city. Fries are well seasoned and crunchy. They have a good kids menu too! During the week sometimes they put out a sign mentioning 2for1 Prime Rib. We haven't had the prime rib, but I'm curious if anyone else has?

Anonymous said...

Have been to RiverRock many times. I used to be a fairly serious golfer, though I haven't played in a couple of years. Spousal unit and I would play an afternoon 9 there every couple of weeks and eat on the deck. Quite a few dinners there as well. Consistently good with a couple of exceptions. They also have an exceptional wine list. On the patio we've encountered some spotty service. But overall, thumbs up.

They used to have a live jazz thing on the patio in summers. Not sure if they still do it.

SlimShadeez said...

They've got an AWESOME club sandwich that I dream about from time to time.

Hey, I'm shamelessly promoting my Renton business because the pro-shop at the Maplewood Golf Course sells my product:

SlimShadeez are visors that attach directly to your sunglasses so you don’t get a headache from straps or clamps like traditional visors.

SlimShadeez lay flat in the glove box, purse or slip in the side of your golf bag so they’re easy to have handy when you need them. Two sizes of elastic straps on each side of the visor slip easily onto arms of your glasses or sunglasses and stay snug against your forhead.

SlimShadeez are manufactured right here in Renton and sold at Maplewood Golf Course, Fairwood Country Club, and several other locations in the area. (You can also order online at www.SlimShadeez.com)

Unknown said...

We're regulars at the Grill, though we couldn't golf our way out of a sand trap. The prime rib deal is a good bargain, ample and tasty meat well-prepared, a baked potato with everything and (watery) veggies on the side. A satisfying meal on a cold winter night and a treat box for the leftovers that keep our two standard poodles happy at home. Our faves are the burgers and the tilapia spinach salad, but their special menus are well worth exploring. Staff is helpful. The bar is good but don't ask for anything exotic. If you're eating in Renton, this is a top consideration.