Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Antojitos La Villa

I love Mexican food, and it shows. I love authentic taco trucks and I like mediocre Mexican places.
Antjojitos LaVilla is at 239 Sunset Ave N in Renton, exactly where the Colombian restaurant was located, across from Burger King, and in the same complex as Westernco Donuts.
I liked three things especially about this place.
1. Menu was only in Spanish.
2. Menu tops off at seven dollars.
3. Menu has lots of things I've never heard of.

Huaraches, for example. I thought those were sandals, but no...they are kinda like a thick home made corn tortilla in the shape of a shoe sole topped with beans, Mexican cheese, onions, and meat. Yum!!! They also have many tortas, migas, sopes, and tacos. Tortas are sandwiches served on bolillos, and they have a huge variety. I didn't have one, but saw others dining on them, and they looked great. I don't know what a sope or a miga are, but I think a miga is an egg dish made with tortillas.
The place is packed with atmosphere. A large flat screen TV on the wall blares Mexican soap operas.
It's cheap, the food is good and unusual, and I'm happy they are in Renton.

On a sadder note, it appears that Jubilante is out of business. They'd been around a while, say 7 years or so. They were originally a product of Gene Sens, Renton's resident culinary genius , now of the Red House, and formerly of Gene's. Jubilante was "global cuisine" and when it first opened, this former Chevy showroom was called the best restaurant between Seattle and Portland. But service was inconsistent. I've had some good meals there, and some glacially slow ones as well. It seemed to go downhill a bit after Gene sold it. I didn't go there much but I'm sorry to see them gone. They were one of the first signs of the "Renton Renaissance", and I like it when places have stamps of originality, and I don't like it when what we have is what every place else has, be it Applebees or Denny's or some other corporate, soulless place.
Speaking of which....The Target Store in Renton is now open. It may be corporate and soulless, but hey! I like Target!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've heard that the owner of Calico Cheesecakes is going to take over Jubilante's space and turn it into a tavern.

Anonymous said...

ugh! I'm torn - on one hand, I like authentic stuff. On the other hand - I hate to see foreigners not assimilate into American culture. When in Rome, etc...

Oh well - I guess us Americans need to get use to being a minority. I enjoy the Tacos on the way down.

Freakazoid Freddy said...

I don't mind people assimilating, but the food can stay unassimilitaed.
The folks at Antojitos La Villa spoke pretty good English, but they seem to be catering to Mexicans, which is a good thing. They happily took my money, and it was a lot better than the standard glop that gets passed for Mexican a lot.

Anonymous said...

i'm friends with the owner of calico cheesecakes... it seems like he's gonna veto the restaurant venture... but we are pushing him to do it anyway.

qmax said...

I think Jubilante was around for much more than 7 years. Went there a couple of times, weird eclectic menu, probably why I didn't go more. I am much more fond of Gene's Red House.

As far as another bar/tavern goes, jeez...Renton has plenty. That whole end of Downtown is saturated with them.

Anonymous said...

Sope: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sope

Miga: http://www.wordreference.com/es/en/translation.asp?spen=miga

Personally, if all we had available to eat was meat & potatoes American style, I think it would be boring. I love the variety other countries bring to the table.

Africola said...

i've got to try out la villa and give tacos guaymas a rest (mmmm.... though it's hard to beat a glass of orchata and 2 tacos de carnitas...)

but i'm thinking we should organize a displaced hipster's taco wagon roundup soon -- we go, we eat, we quibble over ratings, we post.

freddy, you in? tin hat and mikelle?

mmm. taco wagon.

Freakazoid Freddy said...

Absolutely. In for the taco truck roundtable, or roundup.

Africola said...

i was impressed with my first visit to la villa. i had tacos de carnitas and asada, and both were excellent -- generous portions of meat with a smattering of diced onion and cilantro on a corn tortilla. squeeze slice of lime, lace with salsa verde, enjoy.

despite my previous loyalty, la villa beats guaymas hands down in taco dept. guaymas menu has a lot more selection, but if it's tacos you are after, go to la villa.

i plan to return on a weekend when they have posole and will let you know how it measures up. guaymas has posole on the menu, but has never had it when i've been there. la villa says they serve it on saturday and sunday.

if so, life is complete ... until i can find a place that serves chalupas.

thanks yet again to freddy for finding the good places in renton!!