Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Bill's Bodacious

Ten years ago, there was only one BBQ joint in downtown Renton. It wasn't the Cedar River Smokehouse which seems like it's it's been there forever. It was Bill's Bodacious BBQ, which shared the former gas station at 2nd and Main with Jet City Espresso. It was a popular mainstay, but after many years the owner got a job in the tech industry and found that he was making too much money working, and didn't need to keep the BBQ joint open.
Fast forward a few years, and lo and behold, he's baaack! Not in the same location, but up the hill at 3813 NE 4th St, Renton 425-255-0535.
Some people claim that this is the best BBQ around these parts. I don't know whether that's true, but it's a comfortable place to dine, service is friendly and fast, prices are good, and so is the food.
The ribs are about as good as anyone's, including Jones' in Columbia City. The greens are vegetarian and incredible. Corn muffins are delightful. The menu also features Brisket, chicken, catfish, pulled pork, sometimes Jambalaya, sometimes smoked prime rib.
I only have one minor quibble. The sauce. It's this weird sweet thing, closer to an Asian sweet and sour sauce than a traditional BBQ sauce. I guess they think it's innovative and creative and different and you have to applaud people for taking chances, but I'm almost tempted to stop at Fred Meyer on the way up there and bring a bottle of Stubb's sauce with me.
Nonetheless, it's probably just me because many people like the sauce, they sell it by the jar and sell a lot of it.
And, all in all, it's right up there amongst Renton's best BBQ.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Foods ok, but I swear it is not real BBQ (low, slow with smoke). Maybe I am wrong but to me it lacks the smoke. Only thing that seems to make it Q is the sauce. Much prefer Cedar River or Gordy's at Foster's.

Freakazoid Freddy said...

BBQ taste is very personal. I like Cedar River Smokehouse, but my wife refers to it as "the bad barbecue place."
In the whole Seattle area, I'm partial to Home of Good on Yesler and Willi's Taste of Soul on Beacon hill.

qmax said...

BBQ IS personal. But I do agree, if it doesn't have the smoke, it isn't really BBQ. Cedar River is good, think Gordy's is REALLY good, albeit a little pricier.

Freakazoid Freddy said...

I'm a Gordy's fan too. I love their ribs. My only complaint with them is that i wish they had greens as a side dish.

aimee said...

My husband and I just moved to Kennydale from San Francisco, and I'm really glad to find your blog. Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

The ribs are very good and juicy. They have a little smoke taste but I agree, not enough. I would like to find somewhere close that has real BBQ, smoked with charcoal or wood. I really don't like Jones', coating meat with BBQ sauce doesn't make it true BBQ.